Sunday, June 10, 2007

Onions Onions Bok Choi Bok Choi

No market photos this week - forgot the camera on market day, but it was raining so I probably wouldn't have taken any pictures.

A small communication glitch resulted in double produce at our house. We each shopped separately but ended up with some of the same things. Twice as many onions is no problem, but two heads of bok choi is a challenge. We also purchased a loaf of raisin bread (heavenly cinnamon scent!), endive, and another kohlrabi. I also bought a small rhubarb pie, but it was gone before I even thought about pictures.

Two weeks ago, while gazing at a huge dishpan full of radishes sitting next to a box of fat, celedon green kohlrabi, I blurted out 'Kohlrabi/Radish Slaw'. The shopper on my right just raised one eyebrow and said nothing.

After a week of dithering about whether it would be too sharp or too spicy hot or if it would need a third ingredient (and is it sold locally?) ~ Voilá!



Looks like enough to serve 6 - made from 2 kohlrabi and maybe about 10 or 12 small red radishes. If you haven't tried kohlrabi yet, I can tell you that these are tender, sweet, mellow, and only mildly cabbage-y. They are perfect for your first taste of the vegetable.

1 comment:

Anne Koski said...

I'd like the 'recipe' if you've figured one out.